Are you feeling your best?
Think back to a time to when you were at your healthiest. Do you still feel the same way? Can you pinpoint a moment in time when your health started to go downhill? Many people have not felt 100% since having a virus or other infection. If you have never fully recovered, your condition may progress from being a short-term acute infection into a longer-term chronic health complaint.
Chronic infections can leave you feeling tired with muscular aches and pains and lowered immunity, making you more susceptible to catching every bug that goes around. Even a sniffily nose or cough that doesn’t clear can indicate the presence of a low grade infection. With the help of your Practitioner, you can take positive steps to get truly well again.
Getting the Right Support
It takes a strong immune system to overcome persistent infections. The following herbs and nutrients help boost immunity and support your recovery:
• Medicinal mushrooms such as cordyceps, coriolus, reishi and shiitake are potent immune enhancers for chronic or recurrent infections.
• Astragalus possesses anti-viral activity and assists in the prevention and treatment of chronic infections.
• Zinc helps reduce the severity and duration of colds and flus; however zinc deficiency can compromise immunity. Ensure you have adequate zinc levels to help your immune system fight against infection.
• Vitamin D plays an important role in regulating the immune system. Surprisingly high numbers of adults have inadequate vitamin D levels, so have your levels checked regularly.
• Vitamins A, C, and E are all beneficial for supporting healthy immunity.
The Gut-Immune Connection
In order to have a healthy, thriving immune system, you need to ensure your digestive system is also healthy. With 70% of your immune system in the gut, the microflora or friendly bacteria play an important role.
Probiotics are beneficial strains of friendly bacteria that can boost your immune system function. The strains, Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM, Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 and Bifidobacterium lactis HN019 may help support healthy immunity.
The Journey to Wellness
A chronic condition was once acute. If your body is unable to successfully recover from an acute infection, it may develop into a chronic health concern that your immune system can’t get the better of.
Allowing your body to heal from a chronic infection can take time; the longer you have been sick, the longer you may need to get well again. Whilst you may feel relief in the short term, persisting with herbs and nutrients can provide long term relief from the nagging symptoms you have grown accustomed to. Remember how great it feels to be 100% healthy again!
Cindi Young is a leading Gold Coast Naturopath with over 20 years experience helping people live happier, healthier lives with a special interest in digestive health and hormone imbalances.
Available by appointment at The Cycle of Life, Gold Coast and The Centre for Mind, Body, Wellness in Mullumbimby, NSW and telehealth appointments Australia wide. Cindi regularly runs workshops in her Gold Coast clinic as well as regular webinars.
If you are ready to get on top on chronic health issues and support a healthy immune system now is the time to book your session with Cindi to get started.
Be sure to subscribe below to receive regular blog updates.