Are you freaking out about the coronavirus?
Read on to learn how to boost your immune system defence with simple strategies.
Coronavirus is generating a lot of fear around the world right now. It is easy to feel helpless and defenceless. There is another way and there is alot you can do to help boost your immune health.
Arm yourself and your family with the tools to build strong immune defence to reduce your risk of getting sick. If you do get sick, a strong immune system will also reduce the severity of your cold and flu symptoms, and help to speed your recovery.
Natural Medicines to Prevent and Treat Symptoms
There are many Natural Medicines that are beneficial in preventing, treating and shortening the duration of colds and flus. These agents can boost your immune system as well as provide the necessary tools to help you fight against infection.
Look out for these immune boosters:
- Zinc: Optimal levels of zinc in the body have been found to inhibit the common cold and influenza viruses.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C supports healthy immune function by enhancing the activity of your immune defence army of white blood cells; also reducing severity and duration of symptoms.
- Probiotics: These friendly bacteria live in your digestive system and enhance health, and even immunity. Probiotic strains, Lactobacillus acidophilus (NCFM), Bifidobacterium lactis (HN019) and Lactobacillus rhamnosus (HN001), have been scientifically proven to enhance immune responses. By providing healthy gut immunity, you are providing the best defence against inhaled and ingested pathogens.
- Andrographis: This powerful herb stimulates the body’s natural immune response, and significantly reduces the duration of colds. You or your loved ones can take this herb as a preventative to keep your immunity strong; it can also be used acutely as soon as you get cold symptoms.
Lifestyle and Dietary Recommendations
Incorporate these handy tips into your life to improve your resistance and support recovery from colds and flus:
- Rest! Give your body a chance to gather strength and make sure you get a good night’s sleep.
- Eat warm, nourishing foods. Homemade chicken and vegetable soup can help break down mucus that often comes with colds and flus. If you don’t have an appetite, the broth alone will provide minerals and vitamins to give you strength.
- Eat foods such as garlic, ginger, onion and chilli to help fight off illness, warm you up and reduce inflammation.
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself well hydrated.
- Wash your hands regularly.
Make sure you are prepared this cold and flu season – and remember, prevention is better than cure! Have all the essential immune nutrients on hand this season. You may want to include zinc, vitamin C, strain specific probiotics and andrographis in your immune first aid kit, to keep you and
your family well this winter. Put your immune health in order now and get started on your prevention plan.
Book an appointment with a natural health practitioner today to create your immune first aid kit.
Cindi Young is a leading Gold Coast Naturopath with over 20 years experience helping people live happier, healthier lives with a special interest in digestive health and hormone imbalances.
Available by appointment at The Cycle of Life, Gold Coast and The Centre for Mind, Body, Wellness in Mullumbimby, NSW and online appointments Australia wide. Cindi regularly runs workshops in her Gold Coast clinic as well as regular webinars.
Book your session with Cindi to get started.